One of the most important aspects of playing a table top role playing game is being able to communicate with your fellow players. This can be difficult, especially if you're not used to talking to people you don't know very well. Here are some tips to help you communicate comfort and ease during your game:
- First, try to relax and be yourself. Don't worry about saying the wrong thing or sounding stupid - everyone is in the same boat. Just take a deep breath and jump in!
- Second, listen to what others are saying. It can be easy to get caught up in your own head, but it's important to pay attention to the conversation so you can respond accordingly.
- Third, when it's your turn to talk, be clear and concise. Again, there's no need to worry about sounding perfect - just say what you want to say and try to be as clear as possible.
- Finally, don't be afraid to ask questions if you're confused about something. There's no shame in admitting that you don't understand something - we all have to start somewhere. The important thing is that you're willing to learn.
Good communication leads into another important aspect of role playing – consent.
It's important to establish consent and boundaries before beginning any tabletop roleplaying game. This will help ensure that everyone is comfortable and able to enjoy the game.
One way to establish consent and boundaries is to create a checklist of things that are okay and not okay for each player. This can be done before the game starts, or during the game if something comes up. Examples of things that could be on the checklist include:
- Listening to other players' discomfort and stopping scenes that are making them uncomfortable
- Checking in with other players before starting new scenes or introducing new characters
- Discussing what kinds of content everyone is comfortable with, including but not limited to: violence, sexual content, graphic descriptions, etc.
- Taking breaks as needed
If you're not sure what to include on the checklist, ask your group! The most important thing is that everyone is comfortable and able to enjoy the game.